Constipation is defined as incomplete and irregular emptying of stools.
It is one of the common disorders of digestive system.
Going for nature calls at-least once in two days is considered normal as per WHO.
If it is beyond, it is constipation and one needs to pay attention to it.
Constipation looks like a small yet irritating health disorder. But, on longstanding it leads to serious health disorders like irritable bowel syndrome, piles, rectal and intestinal cancer, acidity, ulcers etc.
The irregular and incomplete emptying of bowels (stools) causes toxicity and other discomforts like acidity, indigestion, heaviness etc. for the patient.
The discomfort ends only when there is complete emptying of the bowels.
The factors which contribute to normal defecation and emptying of bowels is
1. Regular intestinal movements.
2. Sufficient moisture (water content in the intestine and whole body).
3. Sufficient load in the bowels.
The disturbance in these factors leads to constipation. The constipation in general can be either mild constipation or severe constipation.
Mild constipation is a common health disturbance and gets normalized in a day or two with minimum effort.
While chronic constipation is like obstinate type and can be problematic symptom for prolonged periods.
Mild constipation occurs due to insufficient water intake, sedentary life style, excessive dryness, insufficient meals or even excess oily food consumption.
Severe constipation occurs due to irregular intestinal movements which is common in old people and in some young people due to their lifestyle and habits.
Regular intestinal movements can be had if one keeps walking daily and avoiding sedentary lifestyle. Also brisk exercise can help keep the gut flexible and active to avoid constipation.
For mild constipation one can use fibrous foods like fruits (especially banana, mangoes), vegetables and cereals like wheat and rice made food preparation will enhance bulk, retain moisture and help in emptying of the bowels. Also having water in sufficient quantities and regular intervals will prevent gut hydrated.
Natural Remedies for Constipation:
Almost all the remedies for constipation are natural i.e. they are either obtained from nature or by simple chemical synthesis. These drugs are classified as
Laxatives are commonly prescribed drugs for normal constipation. They are mild on the body and cause bowel emptying over a period of one or two days. The stools are well formed and evacuated without much strain.
Purgatives are harsh on the gut and cause pain in the intestine and also weakness. There is also chance of loose motions.
So the natural drugs mentioned here are laxatives like
- Liquid paraffin
- Triphala churna.
1. Ispaghula: It is a mucilage material obtained from the seeds of plantago ovata. You will find the small brownish seeds to consume with water. Even if left in a glass of water for 24 hours, you will notice clear swelling of the material. Once taken, it swells in the gut by absorption of water. It is not digested in the gut and remains as such. It increase the bulk and also weight of stools and helps in complete clearance of stools in a day or two.
It is one of the safest ways to relieve any type of constipation. It also adsorbs any irritants in the gut and relive pain.Check out isphagula sample.
2. Liquid paraffin: This is a mineral oil and when take it does not get absorbed in the gut. It come out as is and in doing so will lubricated the stools and intestine. It is most commonly prescribed drug for constipation. But the taste will be bland.
3. Triphala churna: This a combination of 3 medicinal fruits and is good to relive constipation, acidity and other gastric problems. Triphala churna also cleans up the body as a whole. The powder would be difficult to swallow with a glass of water due to pungent taste.So one can even take tablets instead.
Of the three I would prefer to go with ispaghula first and then triphala churna. Last resort would be liquid paraffin. Because first two help in decreasing risk of other disease like obesity, heart problems, gastric problems etc.
Even if you suffer from piles, first step would be to get rid of constipation, For this liquid paraffin would be better as it does not increase the load and also keep the anus smooth. Also if you have piles check out pilex review.