Constipation is defined as incomplete and irregular emptying of stools. The natural remedies include
- Liquid parafin.
It is one of the common disorders of the digestive system.
Going for nature calls at-least once in two days is considered normal as per WHO.
If it is beyond, it is constipation and one needs to pay attention to it.
Constipation looks like a small yet irritating health disorder. But, on longstanding it leads to serious health disorders like irritable bowel syndrome, piles, rectal and intestinal cancer, acidity, ulcers, etc.
The irregular and incomplete emptying of bowels (stools) cause toxicity and other discomforts like acidity, indigestion, heaviness, etc. for the patient.
The discomfort ends only when there is complete emptying of the bowels.
The factors which contribute to normal defecation and emptying of bowels is
1. Regular intestinal movements.
2. Sufficient moisture (water content in the intestine and whole body).
3. Sufficient load in the bowels.
The disturbance in these factors leads to constipation. The constipation in general can be either mild constipation or severe constipation.
Mild constipation is a common health disturbance and gets normalized in a day or two with minimum effort.
While chronic constipation is like obstinate type and can be a problematic symptom for prolonged periods.
Mild constipation occurs due to insufficient water intake, sedentary lifestyle, excessive dryness, insufficient meals or even excess oily food consumption.
Severe constipation occurs due to irregular intestinal movements which is common in old people and in some young people due to their lifestyle and habits.
Regular intestinal movements can be had if one keeps walking daily and avoiding a sedentary lifestyle. Also, brisk exercise can help keep the gut flexible and active to avoid constipation.
For mild constipation, one can use fibrous foods like fruits (especially banana, mangoes), vegetables and cereals like wheat and rice made food preparation will enhance bulk, retain moisture and help in emptying of the bowels. Also having water in sufficient quantities and regular intervals will prevent gut hydrated.
Natural Remedies for Constipation:
Almost all the remedies for constipation are natural i.e. they are either obtained from nature or by simple chemical synthesis. These drugs are classified as
Laxatives are commonly prescribed drugs for normal constipation. They are mild on the body and cause bowel emptying over a period of one or two days. The stools are well formed and evacuated without much strain.
Purgatives are harsh on the gut and cause pain in the intestine and also weakness. There is also a chance of loose motions.
So the natural drugs mentioned here are laxatives like
- Liquid paraffin
- Triphala churna.
1. Ispaghula: It is a mucilage material obtained from the seeds of Plantago ovata. You will find the small brownish seeds to consume with water. Even if left in a glass of water for 24 hours, you will notice clear swelling of the material. Once taken, it swells in the gut by absorption of water. It is not digested in the gut and remains as such. It increases the bulk and also the weight of stools and helps in complete clearance of stools in a day or two.
It is one of the safest ways to relieve any type of constipation. It also adsorbs any irritants in the gut and relieves pain. Check out isphagula sample as it literally has no sideeffects.
2. Lactulose: This is a sugar extracted from the milk. It is no absorbed into the blood from the digestive system. But, it works well to increase the bulk of stools and evacuate with ease. I feel this is the best bet for those who often have constipation. One should start with 20 to 30ml of lactulose syrup on the first day and then on the next day, you could go with 15 to 20ml. Since the first dose itself, the effects can be seen.
3. Triphala churna: This a combination of 3 medicinal fruits and is good to relieve constipation, acidity and other gastric problems. Triphala churna also cleans up the body as a whole. The powder would be difficult to swallow with a glass of water due to pungent taste. So one can even take tablets instead.
4. Liquid paraffin: This is mineral oil and when taken it does not get absorbed in the gut. It comes out as is and in doing so will lubricate the stools and intestine. It is the most commonly prescribed drug for constipation. But the taste will be bland.
Of the four I would prefer to go with lactulose or ispaghula first and then Triphala churna. Last resort would be liquid paraffin. Because of the first two help in decreasing the risk of other diseases like obesity, heart problems, gastric problems, etc. While the third one besides relieving constipation also helps clear the gut and body from impurities.
Even if you suffer from piles, the first step would be to get rid of constipation, For this lactulose or liquid paraffin would be better as it does not increase the load and also keep the anus smooth. Also if you have piles check out pilex review.