Migraine, as everyone knows, is a pulsating headache.
It concentrates on one side of the head in most cases. The one side can be either at the back or sides of the head.
The characteristic symptoms of this headache are unbearable pain, which gets worse by light and sound.
So the person suffering from it tries to keep away from light and also avoids sound.
Interestingly this headache seems to be more common in women than men.
And once this headache arises, the person is unable to work. He needs complete rest as activity aggravates the symptoms. So the loss of work for those with this headache.
Though one will be prescribed medications for migraine, there seems to be no permanent cure.
In many cases, it is believed to subside with age, like after menopause, etc.
There are many contributing factors like hormonal changes, stress, genetic factors causing this headache.
But the best way to manage this is to avoid headaches. This includes lifestyle changes, nutrition and other factors.
But below, we see methods of natural migraine treatment.
Natural Migraine Treatment
This is quite preferred by many as they know that there is no permanent cure in modern medicine for it.
Since the only way to relieve the pain is the use of some medicine like ergotamines or triptans. But their overuse is not recommended.
The natural means include avoiding stress as much as possible. Or if not even cure the problem.
1.Avoid Calcium supplements. In people who consume calcium supplements, they are likely easily affected by it if prone to migraine. So when they are given Calcium channel blockers. They get relief from it. This indicates that they have to avoid calcium supplements. But if they need to consume calcium supplements, they can make an alternative by using milk instead.
2.Relieve stress: Stress is one of the prime causes of migraine. So one needs to relieve stress for the purpose. For this, doing yoga is one of the better options. This not only relieves stress but also gives control over the mind. There are some easy yoga positions for this recommended by the art of living.
3. Keep watch on triggers. Notice when and why you are prone to migraines. Some are prone to it during menstruation, others during or after pregnancy. Try to keep away from any stressful situations then and, if possible, have plenty of rest to avoid the headache. Like, avoid stress during menstruation for those who experience migraine during menstrual onset.
4. Go for homeopathy. I have seen my mom suffer from migraine since childhood. Once I came across homeopathy, I went through some symptoms of her lifestyle and gave her Nux-vomica-30. Surprisingly she felt relieved within minutes of placing the pills on her tongue. She later said when the pills were given; she had a sense of swollen face. But when she saw it in the mirror, there was no swelling.
And from then, her recurrences dropped significantly. Instead of once in a week, they appeared once in a year or two. Latter she forgot them.
So what homeo doctors say about such a cure is that when the symptoms are defined and matched with medicine in homeopathy, such cures are possible. I do not wish to go into detail here as it can sound out of topic. But you may consult a homeo-physician for help if you suffer from it.
5. Check for eye problems: Consult a doctor for any eye sight-related problems. If you have vision problems, your eyes and brain strain a lot to get a clear picture while seeing. In doing so, there is stress on the brain, which can lead to migraine. So wearing suitable eyeglasses to correct vision problems helps to relieve migraine.
6. Avoid Eye Strain: Nowadays many people work on computers for a long time. Due to this, they suffer from eye strain. This is due to the strain on the brain and also the dryness of the eyes.
For this, one can take a break every 45 minutes of work. Also, every twenty minutes, they can divert their gaze away from the screen for 20 seconds.
This way, there is little strain on the eyes and also the brain. It is also good to apply eye drops to prevent dryness and also strain on the eyes.
7. Natural herbs. However, there are arguable claims regarding their efficiency. Try to avoid taking them internally to be safe from any untoward effects. Some herbs are made to paste and applied on the head in the region of migraine pains. It is said to be effective in relived from migraines.
Besides these, check for your blood pressure, hormonal disturbances, if any.