The health benefits of walking every day are quite huge.
It is recommended by many health and fitness experts for anyone with physical discomfort or illness.
It is a natural activity in human life, and we have restricted it due to the availability of many vehicles at our disposal.
Some avoid walking as they stay in localities with high pollution. Others avoid walking as they have no time for it.
They use vehicles for transport with no chance for wastage of time.
Also, some people have time and a sufficient chance to walk, but they still use vehicles and avoid walking due to laziness.
By any means, we humans tend to avoid this healthy daily life activity called walking. Walking is so natural, like breathing the air. When such a natural activity is stopped then, the derailment of many body functions starts to happen.
So I advise that if you feel lethargic or moody, or even unwell, go for a quiet and pleasant walk in the outdoors. This is to be done preferably in low air pollution and open-air place. Even try to avoid heavy sunlight.
One can notice tremendous benefits due to walk.
Health Benefits of Walking
- Acidity is the cause of excess secretion of acid in the stomach portion of the digestive tract. Walking helps relieve you from acidity.
- Acidity is a common problem in adults who frequently travel on the bike, lorry, train, or other roadway transport.
- During transport, the gut is subjected to stress due to frequent bumps in the journey.
- In case of acidity, take drugs prescribed by a doctor and also go for a walk.
- You will notice pleasant surprises on the first day of the walk itself.
This is because once you go for a walk, the motility of the gut increases, expels gases, and clears stools.
This makes gut toxin-free and relieves stress on the stomach from secreting acid.
Relief from constipation
- If one is suffering from prolonged constipation, it is good to take a walk regularly.
- As mentioned above, walk enhances intestinal motility and clears stools.
- Having water before going for a walk also is more beneficial.
Improves heartbeat and regularities heart rhythm
- For heart patients, it is said that they should minimize movements.
- But this does not apply to walking in most cases. Interestingly, walking for a short distance at a slow pace helps regularize heartbeat and blood pressure.
- Further walking is the best exercise to strengthen heart muscles.
If you notice an abnormal heartbeat and believe it is due to a sedentary lifestyle, go for a walk. You will be relieved from it.
- Digestion is a factor which is also dependent on physical activity.
- The more is the activity, the better is the digestion as the system has to retake all the necessary nutrients lost due to exercise, i.e., walking.
- So walking helps improve digestion and also absorption of food into blood.
It Makes you active
- Taking a brisk walk after awake in the morning or from sleep helps you stay active for the remaining part of the day.
- Also, those who sit for long and have stress due to it will have better health when they walk.
- Walking whenever chance permit during work or travel to the workplace is a healthy option.
Keeps muscles fit
- Walking especially strengthens the muscles of the stomach, legs, arm and hips.
- So it is good to maintain the fitness and shape of these muscles. And to some extent, it contributes to weight loss.
- You can personally notice that when you walk, your body will seem to be fit and erect.
Helps overcome insomnia.
- Sedentary life is also a cause of insomnia.
- Taking a walk regularly helps you keep your body and brain fit and helps you get sound sleep at bedtime.
Minimizes BP changes (blood pressure)
- Blood pressure is the pressure exerted by the blood on the walls of the blood vessels.
- So BP is related to the muscle strength of blood vessel walls.
- Walking, as mentioned before, tones up muscles of legs, arms, belly and also back.
- Similarly, walking tones up muscles in the walls of blood vessels. Further, it helps circulation to be active even in regions of low blood supply.
- This lets blood flow into every corner of the body, thereby supplying oxygen and nutrients to muscle cells. So many patients with abnormal BP are advised to walk for favorable results.
Improves body tone
- Walking improves circulation even to the remote body parts.
- This helps in clearing toxins and waste due to enhanced circulation.
- Further, the enhanced blood circulation supplies nutrients to the nooks and corners of most cells.
- You can notice this after you start walking for a few weeks.
The body is toned up due to regular exercise.
Helps relieve the load on the kidney
- Expulsion of salt from the body is done mainly by kidneys in the form of urine during a sedentary lifestyle.
- But when one walks, there can be sweating and excretion through the skin.
- This helps decrease the load on kidneys as some of the salt is expelled out by sweat.
Overcome depression & anxiety
- These mood disorders are thought to be caused by mental stress.
- Mental stress goes down due to regular physical exercise.
- So walking is one of the best mental stress relievers.
If you are stressed, go out for a walk in pleasant surroundings like a green farm or beside water bodies.
This will helps you overcome anxiety and depression.
Minimizes discomforts of chronic diseases.
- In diabetes, many people have unwanted problems like body pains, headaches, etc.
- Walking regularly helps one overcome these discomforts. Stress is said to be a prime causative factor for chronic diseases.
- Walking minimizes stress and helps overcome long-standing disorders.
Walking is a type of natural exercise and is said to strengthen the heart and other muscles.
Tips for a healthy walk
1. Always walk in the morning or evening times. The morning after waking up from bed and attending nature calls.
Evening walking after work hours also relieves stress. Walking in the mornings is better as the weather is cool and also the air is fresh. Even in areas with air pollution, in the morning hours, the pollution is low.
2. Have some water before going for a walk. Drinking water helps the body stay hydrated and even soothes the digestive tract. It will also help free motions and avoid constipation.
3. Walk on the clear ground instead of on grass. Further, try walking barefoot, i.e., without footwear.
This helps you feel the sense of ground, and you feel more relaxed. But do not walk barefooted in filthy places.