Clove is an unripe and dried flower bud of the plant Eugenia caryophyllus. It is brownish to dark brownish in color and widely found in the kitchen as a condiment.
Clove buds procured directly from plant possesses high aromatic scent and pungent yet agreeable taste. It is one of the natural herbal remedies and medicinal plants used for ages and also as a condiment in foods.
It is quite expensive, and those less expensive ones available from the market are exhausted or adulterated (i.e., they have been deprived of their aromatic oils to a large extent).
6 Interesting Clove Benefits & its oil
1. Mouth or oral deodorant: Chewing a clove bud after meals or when required removes and bad odor from the mouth and gives a pleasant odor. Hence it is a natural oral deodorant. It can be used instead of synthetic and expensive mouth deodorant in times of need. Further with its antiseptic nature kills any germs in the mouth after meals. This helps clean the mouth. So it is one of the condiments recommended to be consumed after every meal.
2. Dental analgesia: In case of a severe toothache, chewing a clove or putting one near the tooth responsible for pain is advised as a measure to reduce pain. This is due to its action on nerves limiting the pain conduction and killing any pain-causing microbes there.
3. Antiseptic: Clove oil is one of the good antiseptics. It can relieve a sore throat, cough, mouth ulcers and headaches.
4. Carminative: Any gaseous accumulation during meals can be relieved by the consumption of clove as it helps remove accumulated gas by belching. Perhaps this action is due to its stimulating effect on the gut walls.
5. Stimulant: Clove oil is a natural stimulant. Pure clove oil is so harsh that nerves may be unable to tolerate the stress induce by the irritation effect of clove oil on them. Hence if consumed, it makes one alert or less sedative due to stimulating effect on the tongue or the buccal cavity.
It has stimulating and irritating effects on the mucous layer can also help in phlegm expulsion (expectorant) from the respiratory tract.
Clove oil: Clove benefits are due to its essential oil. This oil is called Eugenol and has a high percentage of phenol and other constituents. The presence of phenol may be responsible for its antiseptic, anti-irritant properties. Hence, it is suitable in case of sore throat, nasal inflammation due to cold, etc.
Due to properties like anti-septic, aromatic odor, clove oil is used in toothpaste preparations, mouthwashes, gargles, soaps, etc.
It is also used in some medical preparations to mask other drugs’ bitter taste or pungent odors. Oil can be used in perfumes even.
Clove oil benefits are also promising in the mitigation of stress and also inflammatory bowel disorders.