Ginseng is one of the valuable herbs used in health care.
The active substance is extracted from the dried roots of panax ginseng.
It is available as Korean ginseng, Chinese ginseng and also American ginseng.
And of them Korean ginseng is of the best quality and so is expensive.
Ginseng is a complex material as it has many active ingredients. These ingredients include ginsenosides, panaxosides, vitamin A, D, minerals and amino acids. Because of them it shows it health effects
There are also substitutes to ginseng which are used as adulterant to original ginseng.
Ginseng has been used from ancient periods. It was considered to be enhancer of health and vitality.
Ginseng health benefits:
2. Anti -cancer: It has anti-carcinogenic properties due to cytotoxic activity. It is used against blood cancer (leukemia).
3. Anti-oxidant: Ginseng is a good anti-oxidant. It helps to reduce the toxic oxidant and prevent damage to cells. Thus it anti-oxidant action can helps fight aging.
4. It is an aphrodisiac and tonic. That is it enhances the sexual desire. So it can be used in men suffering from erectile dysfunction. .
6. It is used to treat adrenal and thyroid malfunction. This is due to its ability to stimulate endocrine glands.
7. It also enhances memory and concentration. So it is good for use in students for better results.
8. It is effective in anemia a disorder of low RBC levels in blood.
9. It is suitable in treatment of neurasthenia. This is a disorder of fatigue and exhaustion which is not relieved by rest. Symptoms like headache, anxiety, palpitations can be present. Ginseng is good to treat this disorder.
10. In menopausal women, it is used to relive abnormal symptoms. This is due to its ability to rise estrogen levels in the women.
11. It is used to treat gastritis and also enhance the appetite. So it can be good for those who dislike having food in right times.
12. It lowers blood glucose levels and hence was used in treatment of Type-II diabetes.
13. It is good for those with heart disorders as it is reduces the blood cholesterol levels.
14. It also effective to minimize blood pressure so, it can be used as anti-hypertensive agent.
15. It enhance the lung performance so it is good for asthma, cold and other chest related problems like COPD.
16. It helps to promote skin health due to its anti-oxidant, immunity enhancement activities.
17. It is said to enhance hair growth and also prevent hair loss. So it might be good to prevent bald head in men.
So in men it could be helpful in erectile dysfunction, and reduce hair fall. Whereas in women it could be helpful menopause problems, enhance fertility and also prevent hair loss. But in both it can stimulate immunity and enhance overall body health.