Ginseng is one of the valuable herbs used in health care.
The active substance is extracted from the dried roots of Panax ginseng.
It is available as Korean ginseng, Chinese ginseng and also American ginseng.
And of them, Korean ginseng is of the best quality and so is expensive.
Ginseng is a complex material as it has many active ingredients. These ingredients include ginsenosides, panaxosides, vitamin A, D, minerals and amino acids. Because of them, it shows its health effects
There are also substitutes to ginseng which are used as an adulterant to original ginseng.
Ginseng has been used from ancient periods. It was considered to be an enhancer of health and vitality.
Ginseng health benefits:
1. Immuno-modulator: Ginseng is one of the best immune booster herbs. It increases the body immunity and so is called an adaptogen. It is said to rejuvenate the body strength and helpful for old age people to gain strength in the body.
2. Anticancer: It has anti-carcinogenic properties due to cytotoxic activity. It is used against blood cancer (leukemia).
3. Anti-oxidant: Ginseng is a good anti-oxidant. It helps to reduce the toxic oxidant and prevent damage to cells. Thus it anti-oxidant action can help fight aging.
4. It is an aphrodisiac and tonic. That is it enhances sexual desire. So it can be used in men suffering from erectile dysfunction.
6. It is used to treat adrenal and thyroid malfunction. This is due to its ability to stimulate endocrine glands.
7. It also enhances memory and concentration. So it is good for use in students for better results.
8. It is effective in anemia a disorder of low RBC levels in the blood.
9. It is suitable for the treatment of neurasthenia. This is a disorder of fatigue and exhaustion which is not relieved by rest. Symptoms like headaches, anxiety, palpitations can be present. Ginseng is good to treat this disorder.
10. In menopausal women, it is used to relieve abnormal symptoms. This is due to its ability to rise estrogen levels in women.
11. It is used to treat gastritis and also enhance the appetite. So it can be good for those who dislike having food at the right time.
12. It lowers blood glucose levels and hence was used in the treatment of Type-II diabetes.
13. It is good for those with heart disorders as it reduces blood cholesterol levels.
14. It also effective to minimize blood pressure so, it can be used as an anti-hypertensive agent.
15. It enhances lung performance so it is good for asthma, cold and other chest related problems like COPD.
16. It helps to promote skin health due to its anti-oxidant, immunity enhancement activities.
17. It is said to enhance hair growth and also prevent hair loss. So it might be good to prevent bald head in men.
So in men, it could be helpful in erectile dysfunction and reduce hair fall. Whereas in women it could be helpful menopause problems, enhance fertility and also prevent hair loss. But in both, ginseng can stimulate immunity and enhance overall body health.