Sitting for long is found to be a health risk. It is equivalent to smoking as per some research studies. The reason is that those who sit for long tend to get health disorders like cancer, cardiovascular diseases etc. Further there are reports that those who sit more are prone to depression.
This sitting is said to be more problematic in those who do not exercise daily. Yet sitting for long is also problematic to those who exercise, But the risk is low compared to ones who do not exercise.
But i believe that sitting idle is not the problem. But sitting and watching a television or computer for long is the problem.
In the previous century when there were no developments of TV, computer etc. our elders used to sit for long chatting, playing cards etc. but stayed very healthy.
The Health Hazards of Sitting for Long
When you sit down, the legs rest and all the muscles there come to a stand still without any movement.
In being so the percolation of blood to each and every cell declines. Further when we watch television or work on computer, the brain is the only organ which is very active. Human body is circulation is such that it always tends to meet the demands of the organs. When we run, more blood flows to limbs as each cell wants more oxygen and nutrition during the work. Similarly when we work on computer or watch TV, the brain is highly active, so blood circulation move towards the brain more than the legs. In doing so, less nutrition and oxygen are supplied to leg cells. This causes trouble. Other than legs many organs are affected including heart, intestine etc. So all these organs can be under risk. To keep away these health risks and stay healthy we need to follow these steps.
1. Breaks: While working on a computer or watching TV, take breaks for few minutes. Stand up and walk a bit. This helps to bring motion in muscles at regular intervals. The time period can be 45 min for working on computer as it even avoid eye strain. For TV when ever there is an advertisement we can take a break.
2. Sit in open air: Sit in places of plenty of ventilation for long. If possible in the garden while working on laptop or computer. Open air has high amount of oxygen and can help relieve stress.
3. Drink plenty of water: Sitting more has shown to be even the cause of acidity. Having sufficient water avoids this. Besides higher water content enable blood supply to percolate well.
4. Exercise daily: If you are in such jobs where you sit a lot, exercise daily. At-least go for a walk once in a day or walk where possible. This helps in proper circulation of limbs and whole body and keep you fit. Sitting for long is type of stress. And any exercise like jogging, gym, yoga helps relive the stress.
In a study, it was shown that 2 hours of walking is essential to counter the negative effects of sitting at work for 8 hours.
5. Meditate and relax: Another way to relive the stress of sitting for long is meditate. This supplies enough of oxygen to all the tissues. Besides it also relaxes the hyperactive mind.
All these are simple measures to follow. Those who have are health conscious should no longer neglect the dangers of sitting for long.