Addiction is a common prevalence among human population. There can be none who is not addicted to one or other type or form of addiction. The addiction influences a person career, health, character, family and the society around. There are many people who could not overcome these addictions and stay at the bottom of growth ladder in their life.
I wish to list below a set of common addictions prevalent and they are merited based on their adverse impact on human overall well-being. The addictions are both at mental and physiological level. Mental addictions decide the career and success of a person while physiological addictions have impact on a person health and his discipline.
Some of them destroy time while others affect health and character.
Types of Addictions
Psychological addictions: These are silent killer sort. They are not openly visible like smoking etc. They can only be felt by those who have them or by those who are very close to those having them. And the surprise is that almost everyone in the world have on or other sort of these psychological addictions. They are
a) Laziness: This is possibly a number one addiction or disease we can consider, as it is present in every human and animal living on the planet. The extent of habit varies but it is a leading addiction which even many of us don’t recognize. It is the cause of many social problems like corruption, injustice, in discipline, improper work etc.
b) Procrastination (postpone):This is the next killer of any one career growth. People with this habit have a tendency to post-pone every work for the next day or hour. This addiction can’t be overcome so easily if the person also has laziness beside. It is said the Bill Gates, one of the richest in the world had this sort of habit and he overcame very fast to lift his career.
This is an addiction where in a person takes something o regular basis though is not needed for nutrition or other purposes but for just some mental thrill or sedation. This habit is uncontrollable by the person and may deteriorate his health and well being.
This is a habit of two varieties wherein the body homeostasis is conditioned and other is mind is conditioned to habituating drugs. Mind conditioning ones are in general, sedatives, anxiolytics, opioids, heroin, brown-sugar sort-off drugs.
This addiction can be problematic to individual, familial, social well-being. But the medicine system and drug manufacturing companies survives by this addiction to a large extent
Physical drug addiction is a condition wherein habituation is physical i.e. the physiological imbalance occurs if the drug usage is stopped. Ex: In B.P patients, irregularities in drug consumption leads to sudden hike in B.P leading to brain hemorrhages which can be life threatening.
The mental addiction can be curable by rehabilitation centers, proper counselling etc. Physiological drug addiction can’t be withdrawn so easily. Sometimes it can be life threatening especially in the aged or old age people.
1. Smoking addiction: This is the second most troublesome addiction. Its requirement is not necessarily but people who habituate. It is injurious to the smoker and also passive smokers around. The addiction leads to drastic decrease in life span of smoker. If women the effects can be seen on pregnancy.
2. Alcohol addiction: Alcohol is a requirement for many in cold countries for daily consumption but it takes a habituation form which is very hard to get out. It can lead to irrational behavior and cause distress to individual, family and society around him. Sometimes in excess doses can lead to death.The ill effects of heavy drinking also lead to severe deterioration of health and life span.
3. Drug addiction: Here a person takes some drugs initially prescribed by a physician with the intention to continue the well being or mental sedation and has trouble in giving up.
4. Corruption: Though this seems to be surprising, those who habituate for bribery or corrupt modes of making money or other benefits can rarely give up the addiction of corruption.
5. Adultery & pornography: This is the common addiction and people consider it as a common or natural instinct of human flesh. This can have tremendous effect on human relationships, health, career build-up and mental condition of those victimized by this habit.
6. Internet & video games: Many people are addicted to internet and computer for games, chatting etc. There was an incident in china where a guy had cut off his hands to get out internet addiction. Internet addiction has health problems due to prolonged sitting and eye strain. Also and waste of time are other issues.