Hot water benefits our body and health in many ways.
By hot water, I mean boiling water or water heated to less than the boiling point. But not just warm water. In most cases, Lukewarm water is not that useful.
Some of the major areas include
- Combating cold
- Treatment of rectal fissures or piles
- Minimizing body pains
- To relieve inflammation
- To combat cough
- Cleaning of ears.
Hot Water Benefits
Hot water is useful for the treatment of many health problems.
For Common Cold and Pheglm accumulation
- When you have symptoms of a cold, you would be given some anti-histamine tablets besides paracetamol.
- But, you will find it a surprise that inhaling hot water steam would give a sense of relief from cold instantly. Adding some menthol or eucalyptus oil would provide more relief.
- This hot steam gets into your respiratory tract and helps it dilate and shrink the swellings giving you freedom from congestion and difficulty in breathing.
- If you do this twice a day, you will overcome flu symptoms in just two days in most cases. For this, I would advise to take bresol tablets to overcome any associated infection and throat pain.
Besides drink warm or slightly hot water when you have a common cold. The nasal congestion and stuffy nose go off, leaving you more comfortable than before.
You can even have hot water bottles to carry to the workplace. They retain heat for longer times.
Even having a hot water bath helps overcome cold in terms of body pains, headaches, etc.
In old people, who have phlegm accumulation breathing steam would loosen it and help in easy expulsion when used along with some phlegm breakers (mucolytics)
For Piles and fissures
- Hot water is a magical remedy for piles.
- Sitting so for a period of 10 minutes twice a day will help one overcome the sense of pain due to piles.
- It leads to a quicker recovery due to reduction in inflammation and enhanced blood circulation to the region.
- Even if you undergo surgery for piles or fistula, sitting in hot water will quickly help you overcome the intense pain. Ask your doctor about it as they mail forget to inform you.
- I have seen people take pilex medication for piles but are not aware of sitting in hot water exposing their bums. So, try it if you have piles using large tub.
For body pains and skin.
- One can develop body pains due to rigorous exercises or in the gym.
- Sometimes due to physical injury due to falling or being hit by something. In such cases, your skin will be bruised and you suffer from intense pain.
- You can overcome these body pains with hot water.
- For this, one needs to soak a cloth in hot water and apply the cloth onto the painful area after squeezing.
- You will notice that pain disappears instantly.
- Another way is to heat the cloth on a pan and then put the hot cloth over the painful area on the skin.
- But this is not comfortable as the hot cloth can injure your skin with burns. It also loses heat faster than the cloth dipped in hot water.
To relieve inflammation
- Due to severe physical work or being beaten up, there are chances to develop inflammation in the whole body.
- In such a condition, a hot water bath gives immense relief.
To combat cough
- If you have a cough, drinking hot water relieves congestion of the nose, throat, and lungs.
- The number of coughs will reduce as the throat is relieved of the urge to cough.
- You can carry hot water to the workplace and drink a small amount at infrequent intervals to relieve cold and cough if you are working.
Gargling for throat pain and infection
- When you have a sore throat, the way to get relief from it is by gargling with hot water.
- You can even add lemon or salt to this water.
- Even there are marketed formulations with antiseptic ingredients. But in most cases, hot water gargling is sufficient.
Stomach and Gas
Hot water helps to relieve gas and it is more effective if taken along with spoonful of baking soda and sugar.
Hot water has anti-inflammatory effect and also can irrtate stomach leading to removal of pain and any gas accumulation.
Cleaning of ears.
- A hot water flush is done if you have pain in the ear due to wax accumulation.
- Initially, you can use some wax loosening liquids as an ear drop for a few days.
- Once you feel the wax is removable, take a hot water wash into the ear.
- I would advise taking the help of a nurse or doctor for this.
- A rush of hot water into the ear removes the wax in a flush. You will be relieved of ear pain once the irritable wax is removed.
Frequently asked questions and answers.
1. Does drinking hot water on empty stomach cause acidity?
Hot water or normal water does not cause acidity. Further water can dilute acid and minimize the acidity symptoms.
2. Is it okay to take medicine with hot water?
Heat-sensitive medicine should not be taken with hot water either by mixing or without mixing. However, one may take with lukewarm water as the temperature in the gut would also be the same around the same.
3. Does drinking warm water help anxiety?
Anxiety is mostly related to stress and the brain. However, there is a chance of excess acid secretion in the stomach and also gas formation.
This can disturb heart rate and may be troublesome. Drinking hot water, would minimize this stress in the stomach and may show a mild decrease in symptoms due to anxiety. However, it does not reduce anxiety.