Working on computer for long has become daily job for many. Those in software, web design companies work sitting before computers for whole time.
Similarly private and self-employment people like bloggers, content writers also site before computer almost many hours in the day.
Even I had a similar experience to work for a year just before the computer. I even came across few health issues lightly. Then on taking few measures, the heath was regained though I could still work on computer.
Some of them almost seem to just work before computer, eat and sleep. This is the lifestyle they adopt due to convenience. But the studies show that such lifestyle to be very harmful to health.
Sitting for just 2 min will bring the muscles in the legs to complete halt. There will be no movement in the muscles.
Also, we can see that working a lot on the system keeps your mind hyperactive. Besides, there would be redness of eyes (strained), lethargic and even chances of eye strain. Also, the chances of effect on heartbeat and blood pressure are seen.
Even a recent study showed that sitting for long can be the cause of diabetes.
So if you are in a work mode where you need to work on a computer for long then here are optimal tips for health.
Health and Safety Sitting at a Computer
1. Slow your mind: The mind is in general hyperactive for those who work on the system a lot. This is particularly more if you are using the internet. Just working on the computer has a bit of lower effects. The hyperactive mind can be problematic in the case of those with cardiac problems.
The control of the brain on the heart can be affected leading to palpitations, missed beat, etc. Also, the digestion might be affected. SO try to slow the mind by meditation, breathing yoga (pranayama). These methods will not only slow the mind but also de-stress the whole body including the brain.
2. Keep your eyes safe: While working on the system, the eyes are the prime organs that are under constant workload. They also need to face the harsh radiation from the screen. This can lead to drying of eyes and also causing redness. In some, it can also lead to headaches like a migraine. So to avoid this, one has to have frequent breaks or diversions from the screen. One of the well-known bloggers says it is good to take a break of 20:20:20.
This means one has to have a break after 20 minutes; stare away from screen for 20 seconds. This way the effect on eyes can be low. One doctor advised me to have a break after every 45 min. for relief. So, any one of the methods can be adopted for eye health. Also you can use itone eye drops or any moisturizing drop before bed for lubrication.
Even the mind can be slowed by process and one can be focused on what he or she does.
You will even have little distractions and pressure to complete the task faster. Also since legs are at work, the blood flow and glucose utilization is proper. So it is good to have a standing desk to work if you are standing for long time.
4. Keep your heart and circulation proper. Since the work is a sedentary one, it is good to have some active movement. Movement keeps the heart and blood circulation in proper tone.
Hence it is good to have at least half an hour walk once in the morning and again in the evening. Walking is also one of the best exercises to strengthen the muscles of heart and blood vessels.
5. Avoid headache and backache. Some people are prone to head aches due to intense work on the computer. For this, it is good to have sufficient breaks in the work and also proper sleep at night. Also one can sleep early for better health. Even drinking sufficient water in frequent intervals and use of any eye glasses can help.
6. Avoid acidity and heart burn: Few people are also prone to acidity due to work on the computer. This is mostly due to radiation sickness from the computer and also the intense signals from the internet data card. For this one need to use the system in open air, or big room. You can also notice that using a long wire to connect the data card to the system helps relieve radiation and related acidity.