The stress response is a body defense response to harmful external stimuli.
Every one of us is prone to some or other forms of stress in everyday life.
Be it home, place work or public life, we come across varying degree of stress.
Stress decreases longevity, tolerance, delays recovery from diseases and also healing of the wound.
In the current lifestyle, the number of stress factors is more.
But stress is manageable by different techniques.
Facts About Stress
1. Psychological problems. Stress is the prime cause of many psychological and physical disorders. Long-term exposure lead to susceptibility to anxiety, depression, fear (anhedonia).
In clinic and research lab, stress is ascertained by the presence of ulcers in the stomach, the rise in cortisol and norepinephrine levels in the blood.
3. Can lead to addictions: Disturbs normal life. Stress affects normal life activities like sleep, sex, digestion, appetite. For some stress leads to binge eating disorder wherein a person eats out of stress though he has no hunger. While for other, stress decreases hunger.
Also out of stress, people tend to have more alcohol, tobacco, and drugs to gain temporary relief.
4. Skin disorders: Long duration stress can cause skin problems like acne, aggravation of eczema and psoriasis.
5. Diabetes: Stress is an important factor in the development of Type-II diabetes. The duration and intensity of stress also speed up the development of the disease.
6. Heart problems: Stress is the cause of many heart diseases like stroke, arrhythmia, heart failure, bigeminy, etc. The decrease in stress exposure can limit the progress of the disease and also prolong lifespan.
7. Obesity: Obesity is largely caused due to genetics. But this genetic activation is to some extent dependent on stress.
8. Decreased performance: Stress limits the performance of an individual. Be it sportsmen, athletics, businessmen, politicians; students are prone to decrease in performance due to excess stress. So when young people tend to take more stress. But as they age, limit themselves from taking risks.
Above is graphical statistics representing the stress levels, age and achievements rates in the united states of America.
9. No medicine:
Stress does not have a proper medicine as many cellulars, physiological pathways are involved. Starting from the hypothalamus in the brain, to stomach, heart, adrenal gland, and body cells
are involved. So drug with a single target to reduce stress is not available.
10. Stress is manageable:
Though there is no drug for stress, it can be well managed with many techniques of relaxation and help. But one of the important ones is to take up some physical activity. In this times of advanced technology
, we have more comforts than required. So taking physical exercise to help relieve stress and prevent getting diseases.
Below is a chart with indicates a number of American people recommended for taking some sort of active physical work out.
Stress can be easily relieved by
1. Physical work like walk, gym
2. Deep breath techniques and yoga