Protein Supplements are the most demanded nutritional supplements.
They are available in the form of dry protein powders.
They are the nutrient supplements which can be consumed by one and all unlike others.
They have no dangers of higher dose. They have beneficial effects on healthy and also unhealthy people.
For those with normal health, they can act as prophylactics from diseases and also in strengthening body and immunity.
For those with diseases and disorders, protein supplements help in healing of wounded tissue, get rid of infection and also tolerate well the side effects of medicine.
Benefits of Protein Supplements;
1. Strengthen immunity. Immunity is a body mechanism of resistance to disease causing infectious agents. This immunity is due to presence of anti-bodies and also white blood cells (immunity cells). They destroy any disease causing microbes that enter the body.
These immune cells and anti-bodies are made of protein. So taking of protein supplements help one develop strong immune resistance to diseases.
2. Help in healing of diseases: Doctors recommend nutrition supplements or protein rich diet during treatment of infectious diseases. Diseases like tuberculosis, cold (congestion), cough etc are treated well when one consumes drugs along with protein supplements. In disease conditions proteins helps build immunity and also healing of damaged tissue.
3. To tolerate medicine side effects: Many drugs used for treatment of diseases are toxic to the normal body cells. So the patient suffers from weakness and other damages. Consumption of protein supplements help overcome these side effects. So we can see that doctors prescribe protein rich food besides medicine in treatment of tuberculosis, diabetes etc.
4. Overcome stress: Stress is the most powerful disease causing factors we experience in everyday life. Stress makes one be vulnerable to infections and chronic disorders like diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure and even cardiac problems. One needs to minimize stress to lead a healthy life. Food is one of the medicine for stress. Binge eating disorder is a physiological tendency to eat more. This indicates that those who are in stress eat more to get rid of it. Also we can notice that we consume little when we are under stress. So eating is good remedy for stress. Of the foods, the better is protein and its supplements. Adding a protein supplement will minimize the effects of stress by providing strength to body cells to cope up stress.
5. Healing of wounds: Wounds are formed due to physical injuries. There are cavities and torn tissue in region of wounds. Protein rich foods and supplements are needed to heal a wound quicker. Protein helps on formation of new cells and tissue to close the wounds. It also helps formation of formation of mast cells which help in healing the wound and also white blood cells to destroy any septic infections in the region of wounds. Protein supplements can produce essential amino acid Histidine which adds tensile strength to wound. Without histidine wound
6. Body Building: Protein supplements are highly in demand in market especially for body building. They are said to be building blocks of life and are used to build muscles. Proteins provide strength, fitness and weight to muscle. Those who undergoing strenuous exercise have good absorption capacity in the gut, so consuming enough protein helps them absorb it and build muscles.
In general if people are slim, it is not only because of thin bones but also because of thin muscles. The gut has less tendency for protein absorption in slim people. So going for strenuous gym exercises help increase protein absorption and build up muscles.
7. Control hair fall: Hair is made up of protein keratin. Though hair fall is not always related to protein deficiency, still in case of hair loss during a chronic disease or drug treatment protein supplement is useful. During diseases or drug treatment, hair fall occurs due to thinning of hair strand. This can be minimized by protein rich food and protein supplements.
8. Manage chronic disorders: For diabetes, chronic obstructive pulmonary disorders, cancer etc. protein diets are useful to maintain the healthy physiology, tolerate drug side-effects and also provide ample strength to body.
Though protein supplements are beneficial, still excess protein can be toxic so one should use protein supplements within recommended range.
Also among available protein supplements plant derived proteins are healthier than animal derived ones. So always prefer soy protein or other plant related proteins.